animating different plot styles at the same time

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

sudheer_tenneti

animating different plot styles at the same time

Postby sudheer_tenneti » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:34 pm

Hi,
I am pursuing research in Gas-Solid flows. My problem is as follows:
I simulate the motion of particles in a fluid flow field. So, I have two separate files:
1) fluid flow field (this is a full 3D IJK velocity data)
2) particle data (this is a scatter plot because I need to show particles as spheres)
with multiple zones in both the files. Basically at any given time both the particle position data and fluid field data is dumped.
Now, I need to animate both the motion of the fluid and the particles at the same time.
I read the previous posts in this forum and I was able to understand the StrandEditor addon.
When I followed the steps given in the previous posts, I was able to link both the particle data and fluid data to a aspecific time. However, my problem is that, since I have two different plotting styles:
fluid data --> contour plot
particle data --> scatter plot
the linked zones are showing both scatter and contour plot characteristics. That is, even the fluid data are shown in the form of scatter.
Is there any clean way of doing this ? Please help

Regards,
Sudheer.

jim

Re: animating different plot styles at the same time

Postby jim » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:36 am

I think all you'd need to do is click on the zone style dialog, click on the "Scatter" tab, select the fluid zone, Above that is a button labeled "Scat show." Click on that and select "no."

Next, click on the Contour tab. Select the particle data zone from the list. Click the "Cont show" and select "no.'

sudheer_tenneti

Postby sudheer_tenneti » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:40 am

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I figured out what I was doing wrong. I wasnt assiging the StrandIds properly. I actually misinterpreted the Strand. I thought that the animation proceeds according to Strands. So, I was grouping two zones to one strand.
Then I realized my folly and grouped the 644 zones into one strand. This worked.

Thanks,
Sudheer.

gittenlucky

Postby gittenlucky » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:55 am

Hello, Thank you both for this thread, it has been helping me along in my work. I am trying to do a similar thing where I have a contour plot as well as a plot that shows a discrete source location. I have a separate file for each that is broken down into separate zones that represent the simulation time. I am able to use the Data->Time strand feature to get it to plot both at the same time, however, it always seems to turn on the scatter feature for all of the points. I just want the scatter for the source and the contour for the solution (Im working with the adv.diff. equation). Thank you for your help!

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 am

If you open the Zone Style dialog, you should have two entries: one for the contour and one for the point. Go to the Scatter tab, and set Scat Show=No for the contour entry.

gittenlucky

Postby gittenlucky » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:26 am

Thanks for the reply Ben, I have been poking around that a bit. If I try to edit the zone styles after I have done the editing of the time strands, I only get the option to edit 2 zones (one for the contour and one for the source at the same time step). I can edit them at each time step to get the solution I am looking for, but I can not seem to edit them all at the same time, just the ones for the current time step. I am able to edit them all if I do it before I assign the time strand, but after I assign the time strand it just adds all of the scatter points to my contour plot.

gittenlucky

Postby gittenlucky » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:33 am

I seem to have figured it out... I sorted my zones in the "Edit Time Strands" dialog so that they were first sorted by time, then by number. Then When I edited a zone style on a single time step, it held for all of the others.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate the quick support TecPlot offers in these forums.

Now Time to add another source and make my plots a bit more interesting :)

Return to “Animation”