Immediate laod / LOD / CLOD

Tecplot's Add-on Developer's Kit

Moderators: davetaflin, salter, steve, jprenaud, straton, Chris Idso

frankyd

Immediate laod / LOD / CLOD

Postby frankyd » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:06 am

I have written a data loader using immediate load and have a problem running out of memory. Currently the loader is used on Linux boxes with 4Gb or 8Gb of RAM, but would like eventually use with Windows XP and 2Gb. My CFD data set has a domain of up to 600x600x600 and up to 500 time steps. Typically we load just one variable (int), but some data sets have 4 additional float variables.

So to my actual questions. Will Load on Demand or Custom Load on Demand help if loading only one variable?
If I continue to use immediate load, is there a way to poll Tecplot on memory used/left while loading?

Thanks in advance,

frankyd

Ben

Re: Immediate laod / LOD / CLOD

Postby Ben » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 am

Yes, using load on demand should help you quite a bit. It will mean that, when you load your data, Tecplot only needs to load the first time step, rather than all 500 time steps (assuming you create the zones with the correct standIDs and solution times). Another thing that can help a lot is if you share data for the spatial variables among zones if the mesh does not change over time.

But keep in mind that even with a single variable (i.e. x, y, z, and one other) a single time step of data is still over 3 GB of data (if I did my math correctly). So it may never be possible to load the data on a 2 GB machine, unless you introduce the ability to skip some of the data (like IJK skipping, or something else).

Return to “Add-on Developer's Kit (ADK)”